SONG OF THE DAY ROUND UP: 30/07/2018 - 05/08/2018




If you follow my blog Instagram (@rubyonmusic_), you may know that I post a song of the day on my story every day (or, at least try to). I've decided, in order to make sure I keep posting regularly on here, to do a weekly round-up of my songs of the day and talk about them a little bit.





30/07 - HEADLIGHTS - JAE STEPHENS

'Headlights' is Jae Stephens' most recent single release. Jae is someone I've been keeping track of for a few years now, and she's gone from internet cover artists to a real-life pop singer. Her music has a very chilled R&B vibe with a nice bass and vocals that you can sense are powerful but used in a very soft way, to match the chilled instrumentals and makes the track very easy to just listen to. Much of Stephens' other music gives off a very similar vibe to this which is nice as you can tell she's really found her sound. I would highly recommend giving this song a listen, along with her other singles too, and I have no doubt that a full album is in the works.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE


I accidentally missed 31/07!


01/08 - TEST DRIVE - EMILY BURNS

To kick off a fresh month, I found a fresh artist! I hadn't even heard of Emily Burns until I was having a look at the new releases or something similar on Spotify, and her songs popped up. Test Drive was the first song of hers I listened to and I really enjoyed it. The beat at the beginning of the song (that does continue throughout) just really caught me and I was intrigued from there. I would say the song, and Burn's overall sound is a mix of pop and toned-down electronic. It's the type of song you can imagine being played at a bar on a beach on holiday, bopping along with a drink in hand. Her mini-album 'Seven Scenes From The Same Summer' really is a great listen if you're interested in listening to more of Burns' music.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE




02/08 (THROWBACK THURSDAY) - MANY OF HORROR - BIFFY CLYRO

Biffy Clyro, in my opinion, are one of the most underrated bands of all time. I really love Biffy Clyro and their music, but nobody really seems to talk about it (including me). The Scottish band has been on the scene for a long time now and the chosen song Many Of Horror was released in 2009, and it's a song that's sort of been in the background of my life for a while. It's a great song but much like the band, it's underrated. To me, it's the perfect rock ballad that fines just the right mix of being soft rock whilst still having bits that a reminiscent of Biffy Clyro's harder rock songs. It really shows the talent that the band, particularly in the vocal department, have. I highly doubt many of you will have never heard the song, but if you haven't, I'd fully recommend giving it (and the rest of Biffy Clyro's discography) a listen.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE




03/08 - WHAT SHE WANTS - A R I Z O N A

A R I Z O N A are a band that I've heard mumbles about recently, especially after they started touring with Panic! At The Disco this summer, and so I thought I'd give them a quick listen. What She Wants was the first song I listened to (which coincidentally was released the same day) and I thought it was something somewhat different but VERY good. It is a mix of pop and indie sounds, with almost an 80s vibe to it as well, which is a sound that I personally resonate with really well. The chorus is nice and catchy and the drum beat is very much the type you can find yourself moving a foot or your head to. Listening to this release has made me really interested in looking at the rest of their music, which in my opinion, is what a good song should do. What She Wants is currently part of a trio of songs on a release called 'COLD NIGHTS // SUMMER DAYS' which I believe is just some new music they've released for summer. I'm intrigued to listen to more to work out what the band is really about, but What She Wants was a very good introduction.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE




04/08 - RITUAL - DEAF HAVANA

Now, I know Deaf Havana have been around for years but I have to confess that I've never listened to them (intentionally anyway). It's absolutely not for any particular reason. I've just never sat down and listened. When I saw Rituals on the new releases on Spotify, I thought now was my chance to listen to something by them, and I was really pleased I decided to. Ritual is a track from Deaf Havana's most recent album which was released a couple days ago. Much like the previous track (What She Wants by A R I Z O N A), it is a good mix of pop and indie, a genre which is on the rise at the moment. Something that I think enticed me in to this song was that in the chorus the vocals sound very similar to Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy, and as someone who listened to FOB religiously, the vocals allowed me to feel something familiar with this song while actually listening to a completely different sound by a different artist. I'll definitely be (finally) looking into more of their music.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE




05/08 - LIGHTING MATCHES - TOM GRENNAN

I had heard Tom Grennan's song 'Found What I Been Looking For' played all the time on the radio/adverts so thought I'd venture in to more of his music and chose 'Lighting Matches' as my song of the day, not necessarily as a specific song choice, but to represent Tom Grennan as an artist in general as it is the title track of his relatively newly released album. What strikes me about Grennan is his vocals, they're somehow rough and smooth at the same time, almost James Blunt-esque; it's a type of vocal that appears to be on the rise in music more recently. This track even got the seal of approval from my dad, and it's fairly rare.  It's a great song in my opinion, and from what I've listened to his album, the whole thing is pretty great too. It is a well written, well performed, well-flowing album, which is represented in my song of the day choice.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE


That's it for this week's roundup! Make sure to give all the above songs a listen, and maybe even give me recommendations for next week. I have a playlist in the making for my August songs of the day to check out here.

Make sure to follow my Instagram here where you can keep updated on my songs of the day! (There's a link in my sidebar too!).

Written by Ruby Crowhurst


Comments

Popular Posts