SONG OF THE DAY ROUND UP: 09/09/2018 - 16/08/2018





I'm aware these aren't coming as regularly as they should do, but I'm back at university now and hopefully I'll get into a routine! But anyway, here goes the round-up of my 'Song of The Day's for this week!

09/09 - BOSTON MANOR - ENGLAND’S DREAMING


When I first started listening to ‘England’s Dreaming’, I thought it would be a bit too heavy for my liking, but as the song developed it actually turned in to something that is exactly what I love about music. The heaviness of the song was balanced out with some really good vocals which are often something I struggle to find in heavier music. It has that certain sound that would appeal to probably 90% of rock fans; a perfect medium between too intense and soft rock. They’re definitely a band to check out bearing in mind they’re already featuring in AltPress and heading their own shows not only in their home of the UK but also in countries as far afield as Japan. I wouldn’t be surprised if by their next album they’re being featured on top radio stations and music channels.  Something Britain doesn't generally do is pop-punk (we sort of leave it to the Americans who seem to have mastered it, but Boston Manor are bringing pop-punk and combining it with British rock to create something that I’m definitely excited to see more of.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE

10/09 - SKIPPED (Sorry!)

11/09 - ELLE KING - GOOD THING GONE


I’ve not listened to a huge amount of Elle King, I listened to her two big hits from last year which were ‘Good Girls’ and ‘Exes and Oh’s’ and really enjoyed them both but never got round to listening to more from her. So, when I saw that King was releasing new music, I felt the need to have a listen. ‘Good Thing Gone’ has the sound of a song you can imagine being played at a school dance in 1950; a ballad for people to slow dance to and think about who they’d rather be dancing with. There’s an overwhelming sense of American identity within it, not at all with the lyrics but the whole song in general gives you a sense of an old-timey American classic which is something you obviously don't get much now as music has moved forward so much. It’s a song that would be great for a wedding if the main premise of the lyrics wasn't about heartbreak. Either way, this track is a really good preview of the next album that Elle King has to come, and if she can keep up this vintage sense then I believe it’ll do really well (especially in the States).

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE 

12/09 - STAND ATLANTIC - LAVENDER BONES


Stand Atlantic have provided something that I’ve been searching for pretty much since Paramore moved on to more poppy tracks: a pop-punk song with a female vocalist. It’s something that is very rare in the industry but luckily for me, and anyone else who has also been on this quest, Stand Atlantic have filled the void. ‘Lavender Bones’ makes me reminisce to the days where pop-punk was the thing to listen to and was all over the charts, and I’d like to believe that anyone else who fell in love with music to the tunes of Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco and every other band that was taking over in the 00’s, could easily fall in love with not only ‘Lavender Bones’ but Stand Atlantic in general. Pop-punk and pop-rock is an area of music that you struggle to find super successful female artists in, and with bands such as Stand Atlantic and Against The Current (who recently toured with Fall Out Boy) coming to the forefront with female lead vocalists, I really hope this starts a trend because as much as I love my classic all male pop-punk, someone needs to try and even the playing field.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE

13/09 (THROWBACK THURSDAY) - THE BEATLES - COME TOGETHER


In light of Paul McCartney releasing a new album this week, I thought I’d go with a Beatles track for my Throwback Thursday. ‘Come Together’ is by far my personal favourite track from The Beatles. It is somehow extraordinarily underrated whilst also being a little bit overrated. Unlike most other Beatles tracks, my parents weren't the ones to show me this one. I distinctly remember hearing this track for the first time when the Arctic Monkeys performed it for the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony in 2012 and I instantly became obsessed with it. The distinctive tune is the type that gets stuck in your head for not just days but years, and this was the first Beatles track I remember hearing that was more experimental than the ones I heard before. It’s a very chilled track and like most Beatles tracks, in absolutely stands the test of time shown by the fact that it absolutely didn't look out of place when the Arctic Monkeys, a modern indie band, performed it on a worldwide stage.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE

14/09 -  CLARA MAE - US



This week I seem to have gone for ‘rock band’ or ‘solo female ballad’, and ‘Us’ by Clara Mae is a solo female ballad with a twist in the chorus. The verses lead up to something you expect to be an intense but slow chorus but instead lead to an upbeat catchy one, which definitely wasn't what was to be expected and is why this song, in particular, stood out. Its electronic sound isn’t overpowering and just adds another layer to some already great vocals and instrumentals, which really makes the track. ‘Electronic’ music often has a bad reputation, but in this day and age, experimenting with electronic sounds and enhancements comes in pretty much every genre and ‘Us’ is a perfect example of electronics being used to enhance a pop ballad. It’s subtle, but it’s there and I like the extra edge it gives to the track. ‘Us’ is part of the EP ‘Sorry For Writing All the Songs About You’ which I would strongly recommend giving a listen if you enjoy this track!

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE

15/09 - CASSIA - LOOSEN UP
\

‘Loosen Up’ is the most recent release from indie band Cassia who are soon to be embarking on a headline tour in UK and Europe so clearly they’re doing pretty well for themselves at the moment! ‘Loosen Up’ is a perfect example of a happy chilled-out track produced by the indie genre. It’s a cool and relaxed song about, well, being cool and relaxed and that’s what makes it great. The song isn't trying to make a big statement, it’s essentially saying ‘Here, grab a beer, sit in the garden, and listen to this’. Easy listening is an underrated quality in music recently and here Cassia have really embraced it. It mixes typical summer Hawaiian vibes with classic indie vocals and makes a really great track that, if released a couple months sooner, probably would have been a staple for me to listen to over the summer. Cassia have a pretty extensive discography now so if you like this track go and check them out!

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE

That's it for this week folks!

CHECK OUT MY SONG OF THE DAY PLAYLISTS (AND MORE) ON MY SPOTIFY HERE

Follow my instagram if you want to keep up with the ‘Songs of The Day’ as they're posted! @rubyonmusic_


Written by Ruby Crowhurst

Comments

Popular Posts