SONG OF THE DAY ROUND-UP: 05/11/2018 - 11/11/2018




 Here is this weeks installment of the SOTD round-up! From the second most streamed female artist on Spotify to some up-and-comers to watch, we've got a whole range this week!




05/11 - THANK U NEXT - ARIANA GRANDE

It would be difficult to talk about music this week without bringing up the most recent release from Ariana Grande 'thank u, next'. I would be very surprised if anyone who has access to the internet or radio hasn't heard the song or at least heard people discussing it. 'thank u, next' is a song that takes the good from past relationships, no matter how bad, and shows how you can learn from them and move on. It's a really positive message and one that doesn't often surround 'break up songs', but it's clear that Grande wants to spread the message that although relationships can (very publicly, in her case) fail, it's not a bad thing by any means. Grande even goes as far as to name drop four of her exes in the first verse, showing that she's done with speculation and wants it to be very clear that she's moving on and focusing on herself. The track is outstandingly fun and catchy and sets a good premise for Ariana Grande's upcoming album release. (Yes, there's another album coming. It makes you wonder if she ever has a break!)

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE



06/11 - RISING SUN - KIDSMOKE

Up-and-coming Welsh indie-pop-rockers Kidsmoke have very nicely introduced themselves to my periphery with 'Rising Sun'.  The track has a very classic indie-pop beat, very unassuming and very chilled out to listen to, but still with a sharp bit of guitar coming occasionally at instrumental moments. The vocals match very well with this sound and they seem to be mellowed out and almost echoing as if you're hearing the song from next door through a thin wall. Sometimes you want a song that's not completely in your face and you can just listen to and 'Rising Sun' is a great example of this. On top of all this, the lyrics are almost poetic in nature. So, overall: good lyrics, good vocals and good instrumental, what more could you want? I'm intrigued to see where Kidsmoke go.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE




07/11 - MIRACLE LOVE - MATT CORBY

With an old-fashioned bluesy beat to introduce the song, Matt Corby lays out a great premise for the rest of his timeless heartbreak ballad. It has the type of beat you can see people slow-dancing to on a dancefloor all the way from 1950 until now. As much as the general style of the song seems like something from the past, Corby successful brings the track into the future with his gritty vocals and an underlying sound I can't quite put my finger on that adds a new level to the track, I may have been a bit too cutting with the word 'old-fashioned'. The song takes clear inspiration from the music our grandparents used to listen to, and bring it into a new light. With vocals as great as Corby's, I have no doubt he's going places.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE




08/11 - KILLER QUEEN - QUEEN

With the hype surrounding Bohemian Rhapsody (the movie), it seems Queen is all anyone seems to be talking about, and what better way to discuss this than with their first major international hit 'Killer Queen'. I'm one of the people that were introduced to Queen very young, both by my parents and the McFly cover of 'Don't Stop Me Now' created for Sport Relief in 2006. However, Bohemian Rhapsody seems to have brought Queen to a whole new audience this week and whilst certain fans are mad about, I don't see it as anything to be mad about. Queen were always going to be a multi-generational band, the movie just seems to have gained Queen a huge amount of younger fans in a short amount of time. Killer Queen, in my opinion, is nowadays one of the lesser appreciated Queen songs because of the household tracks such as 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'We Are The Champions', but it shows that even the less appreciated Queen songs are still very good. Queen influenced a generation and I feel like they are just about to influence another one, which shows that even nearly 30 years after his death, Freddie Mercury is a force to be reckoned with.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE



09/11 - THAT WOULD BE A LIE - KIRA

From old rock to new rock, 'That Would Be A Lie' is a modern indie-rock song that uses interesting instrumentals, a funky beat and honest vocals to create a great listening experience. A feature of the song I like in particular is the vocals: are the vocals perfect? No. BUT that is what makes the song good. The vocals are really great but, as I said before, there's an honest quality to them. As the 80s trend coming through in indie music at the moment develops, I think that eventually I'm going to get bored of it, but I don't. It seems to be a lot of bands are taking this trend and putting a spin on it, which I am really loving. As an example here, That Would Be A Lie has lyrics that add a level of sexiness to the song which gives it a little something to differentiate from the crowd. There's also a section towards the end of the song where it seems like it's going to get a bit heavier and more cutting but it sort of...fizzles out before it gains momentum and that was a really interesting technique that definitely intrigued me while I was listening.  Overall, the song is a really great song to listen to and I'm intrigued by Kira's future releases.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE




10/11 - SOMEONE YOU LOVED - LEWIS CAPALDI

I'm fairly certain I've mentioned Lewis Capaldi before on here and there's good reason: because he's very very VERY good. I've really enjoyed listening to Capaldi's stuff for a fairly long time now, but his recent releases such as 'Someone You Loved' have really blown me away. Someone You Loved seems like just your average heartbreak piano ballad but there's something about Capaldi's voice that absolutely wrenches your heart. You can physically hear the passion coming through with the gruffness of his voice and various moments in the song, and combined with the lyrics, it really makes for an incredibly sad but very impressive track. I have no doubt that major success is heading towards Lewis Capaldi, and I can't wait until the day when he's everywhere on the radio.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE




11/11 - ANAESTHESIA - KASHMERE

Kashmere are definitely a band I've discussed before, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to continue to discuss them. They are a band that made me fall in love with the whole indie-80s vibe that I discussed earlier, and they absolutely seem to master it and Anaesthesia is no exception. With this track, Kashmere mix the 80s and futuristic sound seamlessly. There's no better way I can explain it than it's the type of song you can see being played during an episode of an 80s sci-fi TV show (in the absolute best way). The bridge where the instrumentals calm down slightly and vocals really shine through shows that these vocals that seem to usually take a step back for the music are actually very good. This synth-pop ballad really showcases what Kashmere seem to be all about and, as I'm sure I said before, I'll definitely be checking.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE

That's all for this week!

Get daily updates of my 'Song Of The Day' on my Instagram stories on @rubyonmusic_

Listen to my SOTD playlists on Spotify HERE 


Written by Ruby Crowhurst

Comments

Popular Posts