MINI GRAMMY AOTY REVIEWS: H.E.R by H.E.R

Credit: H.E.R, RCA

Unfortunately, with Christmas and therefore university deadlines looming, I don't have the time to do super detailed reviews BUT I wanted to do something, so I'll do some little mini-reviews when I listen to each Album of The Year nominated album!

H.E.R by H.E.R

I have two types of music that I love: music that makes me feel something hard and music that makes me feel nothing at all. H.E.R fits into the latter. This may seem like a bad thing but as someone that deals with a lot of anxiety and stress, finding something that completely chills you out is very hard to come by, but this album perfected that!

H.E.R features mellow beats and low-key vocals combined to make the perfect relaxing album. Each track seemed to roll into another seamlessly, which is very impressive as there were a LOT of tracks on the album. The length of H.E.R his was another feature that was a nice surprise; 21 songs, most o which compiled from her other EP's, but it wasn't jittery or uneven. 21 songs of nicely flowing, relaxed music, what more could you want?

However, don't let the chilled vibe fool you! This is clearly an album that has had a lot of work put into it. With many tracks not having many sounds in them at all, maybe one or two layers to them, you can tell that every beat, every noise, and every word was placed at an exact point to make these songs as pristine as they are. H.E.R is truly an album that shows that more extravagant is by no means always better as she works wonders with simplicity.

As terrible as it seems now, I had never even heard of H.E.R before the Grammy noms came out. Now, I found myself looking for UK tour dates so I think I might be a solid fan! It looks like she's got an incredible year ahead of her from the Grammy's to touring with Childish Gambino, so it looks like we'll be seeing a lot of H.E.R and with this standard of music I certainly don't mind that at all!

THREE WORDS TO DESCRIBE: CHILLED, CLEAN AND COOL.

RATING OUT OF FIVE: 4/5

COULD IT WIN? YES!

Listen on Spotify HERE
Listen on Apple Music HERE
Buy on H.E.R's website HERE

Written by Ruby Crowhurst

Comments

Popular Posts