MINI GRAMMY AOTY REVIEWS: CARDI B - INVASION OF PRIVACY

Image result for invasion of privacy




INVASION OF PRIVACY - CARDI B

I don't like writing about music I don't like because 1) I'm a people pleaser and 2) I don't know why I should spend my time focusing on music I don't like when I can give more attention and love to music I do like and 3) just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's not good. However, since I told myself I'd review every Grammy AOTY nomination; here we are.

Invasion of Privacy isn't a bad album. If you're into intense rap then, to be honest, it's probably a pretty sick album. However, the intensity of Cardi B's Grammy nomination is just a bit too much for me.
The sharp-tongued rapping only accompanied by a simple beat makes a lot of these songs almost inaccessible to people who aren't hardcore fans of the rap genre. The beauty of a lot of the albums in the AOTY nominations list is although they're not part of a genre I really listen to, I am able to listen to them and relatively enjoy it because they're not too in your face. Invasion of Privacy is very in your face, and I imagine that's part of it's charm. I respect what Cardi B has done here. She has a story to tell, and she's placed in a genre which is known for being intense and angry. She is clearly making this kind of music because that's the music she wants to make.

When listening to Invasion of Privacy, it was difficult to do anything other than bathe in the thumping beats and the story she was telling. I get how people like this, because the rags-to-riches story she tells across the album is enthralling, and I'm sure if I read the lyrics on paper then I would enjoy them. It's just the case where my own music taste has got in the way of my ability to really review this properly. I'll have to ask someone who's really into the genre what they think of the album, because it is very highly critically acclaimed.

I will learn to put my own musical preferences aside one day, but I am new to this and it's a difficult situation to be in. Cardi B just isn't my cup of tea and I can't imagine myself putting Invasion of Privacy on repeat anytime soon. However, this doesn't mean I don't think she's going to win the Grammy.

THREE WORDS TO DESCRIBE: INTENSE, IMPRESSIVE but a little INACCESSIBLE

COULD IT WIN? Maybe.

RATING OUT OF 5: 2/5.

LISTEN ON SPOTIFY HERE
LISTEN ON APPLE MUSIC HERE
BUY ON CARDI B'S WEBSITE HERE

Written by Ruby Crowhurst

Comments

Popular Posts